Monday 12 September 2011

Waiting for that envelope to arrive.

Almost one year ago I decided to enrole on a creative writing course and was filled with enthusiasum. First items I produced gave me confidence and my head seemed full of ideas, however when it came to actually sending articles to my tutor for marking I became very apprehensive, did I want someone else to see my ramblings, would they be seen as something I did not want to know-that  I had no chance of ever having anything publishhed.
Actually finding the courage to physically post the large brown envelope through the pillar box took two attempts, first time I drove home with it still in the car, on purpose but making excuses to myself as to why I would do it later.
Then when I did pluck up courage, came the long wait for the return of my marked work,which took about three weeks.
I needed a coffee before I opened the envelope and read the contents, wow I thought, sounds like I might one day make it in some small way.
I had never thought of payment for any kind of writing whilst doing the course but I am being encouraged to submit articles for certain types of magazines.
So far a letter in the local paper that specified 300 words plus the editor had the right to alter, if it was considered unsuitable, was however printed-500 words and just how I had presented it.
It was a tribute to a special charity worker in the community who had died and it would have been wrong to shorten this accolade of his generosity to many local groups throughout his life
Well I am on to my next assignment now and enjoying having something to focus on.
Catch up with more news from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment